I have had a LOVE-HATE relationship with “Spicy” food.
I LOVE the fact that it adds more flavor to the dish and makes it palatable. In addition, it also has anti-inflammatory properties, which is a great side- effect!
However, if you have chopped peppers or in my case mixed the Cajun spiced marinade with your bare hands and you have the sudden urge to rub your eye. Ouch! Little did I know that even after washing your hands the spices still stick around on the skin.
Lessons learnt! Next time, to be safe, I will wear gloves and take them off immediately after the prep because your eyes and nose get itchy exactly at the same time your hands are filled with spice mix or grease!
Coming back to the recipe, if you do not have Cajun seasoning at hand just mix together onion powder, garlic powder, crushed red chili flakes, dried thyme, paprika (red chili powder), curry powder, cayenne pepper, dried oregano, 2 tsp salt and black pepper in a blender.
Add and subtract the ingredients you have available in your kitchen pantry. Also, for those who like it spicier, add in more crushed red pepper.
I have used little honey in this recipe to balance the spiciness.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Bake Time: 30 mins
Ingredients: Boneless Chicken (whole breast or medium sized pieces) 2 Tbsp Honey 3 Tbsp water 3 Tbsp English mustard 2 Tbsp butter melted 3-4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning 3 teaspoons curry powder 2 teaspoon lemon juice 1 garlic clove (minced)
- In a rectangular baking dish mix together honey, water, mustard, melted butter, Cajun seasoning, curry powder, lemon juice, and part of the chopped garlic.
- Add chicken pieces and make sure every one of them is coated evenly.
- Top the remaining minced garlic on the mix.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 F/ 180 degree Celsius oven for about 30 minutes or till chicken is tender and no longer pink.
- Serve the chicken and the sauce drippings over hot cooked rice.If you are on Instagram, come say hi @salt.paprika