If there was one dish I could eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner it would be a good old French Toast!
Even though French Toast is a simple dish made out of bread there is so much more you can do with it to cater to your palate. Adding green chilies to it you get a savory version where as adding berries to it you get a sweet version.
Actually. I didn’t know this until recently but French Toast was around long before France existed as a country.
It’s exact origins are unknown but a popular legend states that the “French” in the name doesn’t refer to the country, rather to an innkeeper named Joseph French.
It is interesting to know how along so many years the “French” name has stuck with it and the recipes to make it are still intact. It must be because bread has been a staple food for many cultures since the beginning of baking and also it is a clever way to recycle old bread.
Using up leftovers and recycling food is something right up my alley as I end up making food for an army even though it is just two of us sharing a meal.
It does not mean that I am always in my kitchen dishing out elaborate recipes and clicking pictures, believe it or not there are times when I just don’t feel like cooking at all.
Those are the times when your brain has visualized a tasty yummy treat in your mind but your hands refuse to listen to your brain and just at this moment a quick and easy French Toast saves the day!
Fresh berries with a generous drizzle of honey are like the cherry on top which add enough sweetness without actually adding processed sugars. You can skip adding them and eat it as is but why not go that extra step and make it more delicious.
Since, its weekend, the thought of adding Sherry wine and making a berry compote did cross my mind but I am happy with the company of generously drizzled honey as of now.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients 2 Eggs 1 Cup Milk 1 Tbsp honey (More honey as needed to drizzle on top) 1 tsp Vanilla extract 1 tsp Cinnamon (Optional) 1 Tbsp Butter 4 One inch thick slices of Wheat Bread (Use any white, Italian, French or whole wheat bread ) 1/4 tsp Salt 1 cup Mixed berries (fresh or frozen)
- In a medium bowl mix together eggs, milk, honey, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt.
- Soak the bread slices 2 at a time in the mixture.
- Heat a pan with butter on a medium to high heat until the foam of the butter subsides.
- Transfer the soaked bread slices in the pan and cook them for 1 and half minutes each side on a medium heat or until it is nice golden brown.
- Cook remaining bread slices adding more butter as needed.
- Place them on a dish and top them off with your choice of berries and drizzle more honey. You can even add a (heavy 😉 ) sprinkle of powdered sugar!