There are times when cooking becomes a cumbersome activity and you just want to close your eyes and want the food you picture in your mind to appear in front of you.
I cannot promise how much of the latter part this recipe can deliver but it can definitely ease the process.
When I told my mom I was going to post a recipe using drumsticks in gravy she raised her eyebrows and questioned my cooking choices. Lol. I do not blame her, as, she has always associated Chicken Drumsticks / Chicken legs as a tasty, crunchy appetizer or a side dish. Not that there is anything wrong in that, but there are times when you don’t want to be bothered making an appetizer and a main .
So, instead of the regular chicken curry, decided to make luscious chicken drumsticks in an Indian spice infused gravy. This dish is relatively easier than the chicken curry recipe as it does not involve the extra effort of chopping bite size chicken pieces.
There are so many chicken curry recipes out there as every region has their own version but the masala in this recipe is what I grew up eating. The dry roasted coconut used here is not overwhelming and blends beautifully with chicken and other spices.
There is saying that we eat with our eyes and it stands true for this dish as it was almost gone by the time I took the last picture.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
5 pieces of Chicken Drumsticks
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp turmeric powder
2 Tbsp Freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
1/2 Cup freshly grated coconut
1 inch ginger root
6-7 garlic cloves
Pinch of Salt
2-3 green chillies
1/4 Cup coriander leaves
1 medium onion slightly browned
Mix everything together in a spice grinder to make a paste
2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
Extra Coriander and lemon for garnish
1/2 tsp turmeric
4 tsp Red chilly powder
Salt to taste
- Marinate chicken drumsticks with salt , lemon juice and turmeric powder and keep aside.
- Slice the onion and dry roast it until it turns golden brown. Same goes for grated coconut, roast it until it becomes golden brown and starts giving out an aroma. In the meantime, in a spice grinder, mix everything listed under gravy section and make a paste.
- Heat pan with 2 Tbsp oil, and to that add the paste and let it cook for about 5-6 minutes stirring constantly.
- To that, add salt, half teaspoon turmeric and red chilly powder and cook it for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken drumsticks to this and coat them evenly with the mix. Cook them without lid for 8 to 10 minutes. If the masala becomes too dry add quarter cup water to it. Close the lid and leave it to cook for about 15-20 minutes on a low flame.
- Add coriander and lemon wedges for garnish and taste. Serve hot with chapati or rice.
- Tip: Add more water to make more gravy. This is a kind of chicken dish you will be proud to serve!