Do you have your shopping list ready for the Holiday Season?
I am still drawing inspiration online and from the local mall. I want something that is simple, thoughtful and creative. Last year I got creative and did a picture collage of the best moments captured during the year, so can’t do that this year!
Being thoughtful comes with a price : shelling out a lot of time as well as huge amounts of money and right now my credit card is laughing at me. 😉 😛
This year I am leaning towards buying something simple, do you know why? Because, all this time I was underestimating the power of simple. My husband asked me what I would like this year for Christmas and all I could think of was something I could use everyday. Naturally (rolling eyes) I asked for a “Popsocket” which I can use on the back of my phone to take good pictures of “us” (read me ;)) and create more memories!
Speaking of simple things, how did you find this “simple” rice and chicken dish? Not to be confused by chicken biryani, but I must admit this is an easier version of a biryani.
You know that feeling when you want some delicious biryani but the effort and list of ingredients just puts you off? I have found a recipe for a simpler version of it. I would definitely prefer the original version and you can click here for the same but until then this is the version I am going with… Let me know what you guys think!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4 people
500 gms Boneless Chicken cut into bite size pieces
2 Tbsp Yogurt
2 tsp Salt or as taste
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Turmeric powder
2 tsp Smoked paprika
2 Tbsp Mint and coriander Chutney
2 and half cups Basamati rice
3 Cups water (for rice to cook)
1 Tbsp Ghee or Vegetable Oil for cooking
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
2 tsp Ginger garlic paste
3 Medium sized Onions sliced
4 Black Peppercorns
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp smoked paprika (or red chili powder)
2 Whole green Cardamom
1 tsp Garam Masala
Finely chopped coriander and Mint leaves for garnish
1. Marinate Chicken with Salt + Pepper + Turmeric + Smoked Paprika + Mint and coriander chutney for 20 minutes. Soak basamati rice in lukewarm water for 15 minutes.
2. Heat a sauce pan with ghee (or vegetable oil) and to that add black peppercorns + green cardamon + cloves + Bayleaf + cumin (jeera) until it sizzles.
3. Then add thinly sliced onions and cook them for 6-8 minutes on a medium flame. Reserve quarter portion of onions and fry them in another pan until they turn dark brown on both sides.
4. Add ginger garlic paste to the onions in the saucepan and cook for another 2-3 minutes. To that add turmeric powder + smoked paprika + cumin powder + coriander powder
5. Add marinated chicken and let it cook uncovered for 10 minutes and then covered for another 10 minutes.
6. Rinse, the water from rice and add rice in the saucepan and give a good mix. Add 3 cups of water (use the same cup to measure water which you used to measure rice) and mix everything.
7. Add garam masala powder and cook it uncovered for ten minutes and then covered for 6 minutes or until the rice absorbs all water.
8. Add lemon juice and garnish with finely chopped coriander and mint leaves. Don’t forget to add dark brown fried onions on top as well!
9. Eat this simpler bowl while you contemplate on what to get your family for this holiday season…