I am a serious cake lover and adore everything and anything that has to do with funfetti, sprinkles , cake batter and cookie dough!
If it were upto me, I would add sprinkles to everything possible, can you blame me? Surprisingly, they are not only popular with kids but adults also have fond memories of enjoying them at any birthday party or celebration. I recently had the opportunity to relish them at a holiday party and enjoyed the festive and fun look it brings to the table. I mean, who doesn’t love bright colors and sprinkles?
Honestly, I recommend making these from scratch and ditch the boxed version. There is nothing wrong in using a boxed version of the same, as making everything from scratch can be intimidating. But the ingredients are not that fancy, all you need is flour, butter sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and colorful sprinkles. It does not get easier that this! In addition, it is satisfying to mix all those colorful sprinkles speckled throughout the white cake batter, while your kitchen smells like vanilla cream frosting… nomnom!!
You can see I went a little overboard with the pictures for this post for your viewing pleasure 😀
Here is a picture of how colorful and fluffy they look when you cut them open.
The fun part is the frosting, I have used cream cheese frosting here, you can use regular butter cream frosting or even a store bought version of the same. After I finished frosting a couple of them my husband and I wanted to dunk my face in them.
Truth be told, , funfetti cupcakes or cakes are nothing but basic vanilla cake recipe added with colorful sprinkles! I am so surprised that I didn’t think of making these earlier!They are easy to make and can be stored in an air tight container for upto three days.
Share them using #saltpaprika or tag @salt.paprika if you make them, I would love to see it! 😀
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Serves: 20 cupcakes
1½ cups all purpose flour
1 cup white granulated sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
½ cup Whole milk
½ cup Unsalted butter (1 stick), at room temperature
1 tablespoon Vanilla extract
½ cup Sprinkles (of your choice)
8 tablespoons unsalted butter ( 1 whole stick)
4 ounces (112 gms) cream cheese
3 cups powdered sugar (use less if desired)
1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
2. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, cream together butter and sugar, until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs, one at a time until they are evenly incorporated.
3. Mix vanilla extract and milk.
4. Dry Ingredients: Sift together flour, salt and baking powder and baking soda. Mix the flour into the wet ingredients. Careful not to over mix it.
5. Gently fold in sprinkles using a spatula.
6. Use ice cream scoop to evenly distribute batter into cupcake liners and bake for 12-15 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
1. Using a stand or hand mixer, cream together butter and cream cheese until light and smooth.
2. Add in powdered sugar + milk + vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and well combined.
3. Using an icing tip of your liking, decorate cooled cupcakes with frosting. (You can use a ziplock bag & snip a corner ) Top with more sprinkles.
Make these over the holidays and make your friends and family drool. Enjoy 😀